Choosing the right toy for a 6 year old boy is no easy task. Your little boy is now 6 years old and has moved out of preschool (and Kindergarten, depending on what time in the year they were born) and on to first grade. Their real education’s about to begin. That means homework, tests, and things that are going to push them to use their minds.
As they work to get ready for school, playtime becomes even more critical. It will keep them sane in the wake of homework, and it helps them to learn outside of the classroom.
Since they are ready to move on from the little toys, these 25 toys are great for 6 year old boys ready to play and learn.
Best Gifts & Toys for 6 Year Old Boys
1. Mattel Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robots
A classic toy makes a comeback for a new generation. The Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robots is a toy that has been around for two generations and remains as fun as it was in its heyday. Two fighters, one goal: to beat the snot out of each other. Boys will learn how to time their attacks, predict their opponent’s moves and think ahead, and build excellent reflexes. All this is great for the real world and its super fun at the same time, and a classic for kids six and up.
- The classic boxing match between red and blue is back!
- Two players, one goal: sock it to ’em!
- Realistic sounds and literal jaw-jolting
- Size may vary depending on year made
2. Operation Electronic Board Game
Another classic board game toy, Operation is infamous among kids and adults. You need the steady hand of a surgeon to get those pieces out of the patient, or else you are buzzed! This game teaches skill, precision, and ability with the hands of a 6 year old and above. It is time for the doctor to operate, and hope for the best.
- Teaches skill, precision, and ability by working with pieces
- A classic game that parents could have played when they were kids
- Infamous for being super hard to get pieces out
3. NERF Centurion Mega Toy Blaster
It’s NERF or nothing! NERF is one of the most popular toy brands in the world and used by everyone over the age of six for fun. Sometimes they are little skirmishes; other times, they are clashes between dozens of people at once!
With the Centurion Mega Blaster, your boy will be ready for any war game. Featuring a dart clip to carry ammo and a foldable bipod for accuracy, this beauty can fire up to a hundred feet away. It is perfect for any NERF fight. Just makes sure your boy keeps track of their darts. Nerf guns are all the rage right now, so this is an ideal toy for 6 year old boys.
- Mega-sized blaster complete with folding bipod and dart clip
- Fires up to 100 feet away
- Easy-open, recyclable package
- Comes with 6 Mega darts designed for power
- 40 inches long, needs space to store things
- Darts can get left around the house
4. NERF Fortnite RL Super Soaker
Right now, Fortnite’s one of the most popular games in the world. Featuring skydiving from a floating bus, madcap antics, and of course, weapons! It was natural that NERF teamed up with Fornite!
Based on the Rocket Launcher from Fortnite, this thing can hold up to 9.3 ounces of water. It is easy to fill up and easy to fire, while your boy looks so cool with it. The only problem is cosmetic: they used paper stickers on the thing. Not those boys age six and up will mind it.
- Based on the RL from Fortnite
- Holds up 9.3 ounces of water
- Easy to fill, accessible to fire
- Looks cool
- Paper stickers on the water gun don’t stay on long
5. Bit Coding Robot (Blue)
In today’s world, knowing how to program technology and work with robotics are two golden skills for kids to have, and this can be the start to it. Meant for ages six and up, this is Bit, the pocket-sized robot. The underlying coding can be done with a marker and teaching it how to move. It even has an online programming editor to take that even further. Since Bit can fit into a pocket, he can go anywhere, making the learning with him. This bot is great for early STEAM learners everywhere!
- Teaches necessary coding and programming robots. Two significant skills to have in the modern workplace
- Bit, the pocket-sized robot for early STEAM learning
- Contains online programming editor for learning how to code
- Necessary coding is done with the power of a marker
- Needs a lot of calibrating
6. Queen Watevra’s Build Whatever Box!
Introducing her royal majesty, Queen Watevra Wa’Nabi from The LEGO Movie 2. Like the LEGO multi-piece boxes, this product contains hundreds of essential pieces. Kids six and up can spend hours working with the instructions to recreate Queen Watevra’s forms from the movie. Alternatively, they can build whatever they want! Parents will be happy that the box doubles as its container, so no mess, no hassle necessary.
- More than a dozen different forms to create with Queen Watevra Wa’Nabi
- Can create even more forms only kids can think up
- Box doubles as a container for storing pieces
- Like the LEGO multi-brick boxes, only cooler
7. Kano Computer Kit
Another great technological toy, the Kano Computer kit gives boys six to fourteen the best gift of all: learning how to build a computer. It has a hundred coding challenges, more than a hundred apps to use, and it does work as a real computer!
For natural building, it comes with a systematic book teaching them everything they need to do. Computer science can start at a young age and build from there with Kano. An ideal gift for 6 year old boys who enjoy computers or might be interesting in coding.
- Build your computer kit
- Comes with step-by-step book
- 100 coding challenges, and 100+ apps
- So many opportunities to work with
- Bad customer support
8. DC Comics Classics Batman/Superman Cape
Batman and Superman, the icons of DC Comics and among the world’s greatest heroes. They are also two of the heroes who look best in a cape. Now their iconic capes are rolled into one with this reversible cape. Turn one side in to get the Man of Steel or the Dark Knight’s cape.
This best gift for 6 year-old-boys is great for little ones who love superheroes.
- Officially licensed DC Comics
- Dress up and play for little superheroes
- The capes of Batman and Superman rolled into one.
- Uncomfortable on the neck at times
9. Hot Wheels Criss Cross Crash Track Set
The Hot Wheels Criss Cross Crash Set is a complex and fun gift for 6 year-old-boys who feel the need for speed. Boys will love seeing how fast their cars will go, but there is a secret point behind this. By learning how to get as many cars on the track without crashing them, they will forge excellent problem-solving skills, organization, and learn how to plan.
- Criss cross crashing track
- Ramp and boosters to create races between
- Can hold several Hot Wheels cars at once
10. Light-up Terrarium Kit
This little garden is great for all ages, as it teaches kids about the environment they live in. With its systematic booklet, boys can learn how to create their own, simulated environment. Complete with wheatgrass, soil, sand, and everything needed for a little garden of their own. It even glows in the dark so they can enjoy it when its lights out!
- The miniature garden that simulates a natural environment
- Glows in the dark
- Includes step-by-step booklet, soil, sand, wheatgrass, and more for growing garden
11. Stomp Rocket Ultra Rocket
Winner of the Dr. Toy award, this rocket relies on the most significant source of power in the universe: children. Easy to assemble, all one needs to do is jump on the launcher and watch it fly 200 feet in the air! Boys 6 and up will love playing with this toy during long summer days. The only problem is that it is not exactly the most kid-proof toy in the world. Make sure they take care of it.
- Winner of Dr. Toy Award
- No batteries needed. Powered by the most excellent energy source known to man: children
- Can launch rockets 200 feet into the air!
- Not precisely, kid proof. Can only last a few months before breaking
12. Glow in the Dark Slime Kit
Slippery, gooey, and all-around fun, slime and boys seem to go together very well. It may be for ages eight and up, but there is nothing that a six-year-old can do. It is easy to make and glows in the dark, and it has a full-color guide that teaches kids how to make it. Just make sure that it stays out of hair, carpet, or beds. It can be stuck in places like that.
- Makes gooey, slippery fun
- Easy to make and glows in the dark
- 12-page full-color learning guide
- 100% guarantee
- Stick to carpet, hair, and bed
- Can get mold after a while
13. Klutz Book of Paper Airplanes Kit
It may say it is for ages seven and up, but this is making paper airplanes, not rocket science! A six-year-old can make a paper airplane. With this fifty-six page instructional book, learning how to make a paper airplane is easy. With the 40 sheets of paper available, it gets even more comfortable.
- 40 sheets of custom paper
- 56-page instructional book
- Ten different planes with articles
- It is meant for seven and up. But it’s paper airplanes, so that doesn’t matter
14. LEGO City Monster Truck Set
Monster trucks are some of the coolest things there are for boys at the age of six, and this LEGO set brings them right to life. With 192 pieces, a giant monster truck, and fire barrels, this little set has more than enough fun for boys to play with. They can create the demolition derby or stunt rally of their dreams with this!
- Build cool monster truck with the engine, giant wheels, and more
- Includes stunt driver, fire barrels, ramp, and 4-inch monster truck
- STEM toy for 6 year-old-boys
15. LEGO City Forest Tractor
Another LEGO set for beginners; this one takes boys five to twelve into the forest for some lumberjacking. With 174 pieces, this set comes with a sturdy tractor with a moving arm and claw, and it can combine with other LEGO sets for even more fun. That is what makes LEGO so surprising, after all.
- Sturdy tractor with moving arm, claw, and buildable log stand
- 174 pieces to build with
- Compatible with all LEGO sets
16. 163 Piece STEM Toys Kit
At the age of six, kids are going to try to build everything with their hands, so parents should encourage that. This STEM Toys kit does this and more, as the number of pieces encourages kids to play in groups of six or more. With more than forty-two designs that kids can build, this toy improves the imagination, develops creativity, and excellent motor skills while building. It has something for every little 6-year-old boy!
- 75% more pieces than other sets
- Enough parts for six people to play with at once
- Supports STEM, improves imagination, creativity, and building
- 42 designs that kids can build from
- Easy to wash and sturdy designs
17. Awesome Jokes That Every 6 Year Old Should Know!
A book is full of funny jokes for kids between Kindergarten and the fourth grade. The five dozen pages of this joke book are packed with gut-busting material that boys will quote to their friends. It may not have a benefit on the surface, but there is one underneath. Learning how to use humor and how to laugh is an essential part of one’s social skills, and if people love to laugh with you, then they will want to hang out with you more. Hence, this book can help your son make new friends.
- One hundred jokes for little boys to read and laugh at
- 60 pages of gut-busting material
- Great for kids between Kindergarten and 4th grade
18. Hot Wheels Corkscrew Crash Track Set
The greatest in motorized Hot Wheels action. With three high-speed boosters to send cars rocketing across the track, this track puts the pedal to the metal. The secret behind this is the problem-solving skills it hones. Boy’s five to nine have to figure out how to put as many cars on as possible without crashing them. Whether they crash or burn, they will be having a ton of fun with this.
- Three loops, crash zones, and high-speed boosters
- Challenging problem-solving issues
- Kids spend time figuring out how to launch cars without crashing
19. Razor A2 Kick Scooter
Razor is a well-renowned all American scooter brand and with the Razor A2, they’ve gone one better. The A2 comes with several new innovations such as a rear fender brake for quick stops and a springless shock system that makes bumpy pavement feel smoother than ever. Made from aircraft-grade aluminium, the scooter is sturdy, foldable and can be transported easily. Half the battle these days is getting kids to play outside, so this ride on toy is ideal for getting any six year old boy out and about.
- Easy Assembly
- Improves Children’s Balance
- Unrivalled in-class comfort and design
20. Hot Wheels Deluxe Track Pack
For years, kids have had to deal with a terrible problem: they cannot bring their Hot Wheels tracks with them when they go somewhere! That is where this fantastic thing comes in. Packable and can be carried anywhere, this track comes with remotes that power the cars of boys five and up to victory. Also, the road can act as a container for vehicles, so parents will not have to worry about stepping on them on the floor.
- 9 feet of track and fun
- Packable and can be carried anywhere
- Remotely powered racing for kids everywhere
21. 365 Things to Do with LEGO Bricks
Everything is fantastic when it comes to LEGO’s, but figuring out what to build can be a puzzle in itself. This little book helps boys figure out what they can make every day of the year. The random-number generator ensures that there is a different build for each day. Kids of all ages can use the timer to push themselves to figure out how to build the sets in the shortest time possible.
- 365 ideas for LEGO builds for every day of the year
- Includes timer and random-number generator
- Encourages kids to use their imaginations
- Needs a lot of unique pieces
22. Moose Toys Chocolate Bar Maker
What child doesn’t love candy? Now boys five and up can learn how to make their candy and learn how to cook all at once. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, add whatever they want into it, and then let it cool off in the fridge. After that, all they need to do is chow down! Parents should be ready to clean up afterwards, though; chocolate gets messy when it is melted.
- Molds for chocolate needs to be melted down in the microwave
- Ad any treats to the chocolate, chill in the fridge and then dig in
- Satisfies sweet tooth while teaching cooking
- Very messy
23. Tonka Classic Steel Mighty Dump Truck
Built with a sturdy steel frame, this dump truck is Tonka tough. Made for boys three to fifteen years old, this toy will last a boy a lifetime of play. Whether they are building sandcastles in their sandbox or need a place to store their blocks, this truck’s built to handle the roughest kinds of the game there are. An ideal toy for a 6 year old boy who lost construction or digging!
- Sturdy steel frame
- Guaranteed to last a lifetime
- Perfect for playtime in the sandbox. Or for holding blocks
24. Shifu Orboot STEM Toy
Combining an old-fashioned globe with the power of technology, the Shifu Orboot globe brings the next generation of learning. Using an Android or iOS device, boy’s four to twelve can see an augmented reality version of the world we call home. Watch your 6 year old boy light up in amazement as the globe comes to life with monuments, animals, and everything that makes our world what it is.
- Globe works with Orboot app on iOS and Android
- Augmented Reality tour of the world
- Monuments, animals, and everything that makes the world awesome in this app
- STEM toy for 6 year-old-boys
25. PROGRACE Children Kids Camera
Parents can get children from three to twelve started on their camera skills with this handy little toy. It has plenty of features that will keep a 6 year old boy entertained for hours on end; in fact, the camera can record for up to 90 minutes without stopping. With several ways to adjust everything, boys can bring their creative sides to light with this fantastic beginner camera.
- Built-in mini-game
- Waterproof camera
- 1.5 hours of continuous recording time
- 40 different frame photo modes, seven color video modes, 4X digital zoom, 3-level volume adjustment
Did you like our picks for the best toys for your 6 year old boy? If you did not, then there are plenty of other ideas out there. The most important thing to remember is by the age of six; your child will be moving on to Kindergarten, or possibly the first grade. They need to start building essential skills in their lives, building their primary education, and more. At the same time, their imagination needs to be encouraged and allowed to grow as much as possible.
35 Best Gifts & Toys for 3 Year Old Boys
Gift ideas, presents & best toys for 3 year old boys. Find cool toys and games which encourage a three-year-old's creativity and self-expression.
35 Best Toys & Gift Ideas for 4 Year Old Boys
Gift ideas, presents & best toys for 4 year old boys. We've selected toys which aid boys in developing their motor, emotional, and cognitive abilities.
35 Best Toys for 2 Year Old Boys in 2020: Gift Ideas & Presents
Gift ideas, presents & best toys for 2 year old boys. We've selected toys which aid toddlers in developing their motor, emotional, and cognitive abilities.
25 Best Toys & Gifts for 7 Year Old Boys
Looking for a fun toy for your 7 year old boy? We've selected toys & gifts which aid boys in developing their motor, emotional, and cognitive abilities.
35 Best Gifts & Toys for 5 Year Old Boys
Gift ideas & best toys for 5 year old boys. We've hand selected toys and presents which are educational and will keep 5 year old boys busy for hours on end.