It is through our first ride on toys that kids develop their balance and learn to gauge distances. Kid powered ride on toys provide a huge challenge to our children’s growing physical abilities. Toddlers will learn balance, improve both gross and fine motor skills, and increase their ability to play creatively all due to the appropriate ride on car.
Although battery-powered ride-on cars don’t challenge our children’s gross motor skills, they too have a place in your child’s early life. Regardless of the power source, you can rest assured that your child will have enduring memories of their first ride on car.
As we grow, the appropriate toy continues to challenge us to improve our motor skills, balance, and our ability to judge distances. Mastery of these elements allow us to grow in our confidence in our overall ability to safely engage with our expanding world. Like most things in your child’s life this will depend partly on your child and partly on easily recognizable safety issues.
What to Consider When Choosing a Ride On Toy for Kids
When picking the best ride on toy for your toddler or child, you need to consider safety. Toddlers have yet to establish a good sense of balance for their bodies, so the toy needs to provide an improved sense of balance.
As children grow, so does their sense of balance, therefore later toys may require more balance and still be safe. After considering the safety of your child, the best ride-on toy for your child will be determined by your child’s individual interest.
Here are the best Ride on Toys for Toddlers and Kids
1. Poco Divo’s Baby Calf 3-in-1 Walker
This playful kids car is appropriate for toddlers aged 1 – 3 years old. Designed to be used as a walker, a pushing cart, and a sliding car powered by those growing toddler legs, this amusing toy has a low to the ground seat making it very stable.
The design of this 3-in-1 walker for toddlers has a cartoon calf face which kids love to engage with. The toy also provides a variety of engaging sounds that will keep your child actively engaged while building large muscle groups, balance, and gross motor skills.
- Multi-purpose toy grows with your child as skills improve
- Sturdy construction makes this a safe toy for fall prone toddlers
- Multiple sounds are engaging for growing toddlers
- Noises/music requires batteries
Final verdict: This adorable ride-on toy works on many levels for a toddler just learning to walk. As such it is an exceptional value.
2. Little Tikes Cozy Truck
This rugged blue truck with a removable yellow top offers children many hours of engaging play. The design includes a happy truck face, a gas cap that opens, a steering wheel, and working horn which encourage sensory and fine motor skill development. The doors and tailgate open and close encouraging creative play, and there is a removable floorboard to accommodate growing bodies.
- Rugged knobby tires are great for traction on grass
- Working gas cap encourages fine motor skill development while encouraging imaginative play
- Encourages hours of safe outdoor activity
- Some assembly required
Final verdict: With its sturdy design, this toy car has many features and the ability to grow with your child makes it a great choice for those looking for a ride-on toy for toddlers and young children. As it can be used for kids 18-months to 5 years this, toy can happily cover the space often taken up by two less expensive toys.
3. Plasma Car Ride on Toy
This simple sturdy ride on toy is appropriate for kids aged 3 years old and up. The Plasma Car can hold up to 220lbs making it an incredibly sturdy toy. The Plasma Car can be purchased in a variety of colors allowing your child to have a unique car in their kid garage.
This car is easily propelled and streamlined without the bulk of many riding cars. Due to it’s streamlined body, the Plasma Car can turn around in small spaces making it ideal for indoor and path riding.
- Encourages hours of active play
- Builds strong leg muscles
- Good for small spaces
- Seat molded for added safety
- Some assembly required
Final verdict: This sturdy toy is simple in its design and ideal for small spaces. Although it doesn’t have a big personality, it is safe and extremely sturdy making it a clear choice for those looking for an indoor ride-on.
4. Step 2 Push Around Buggy GT Ride on Car
This realistic car is designed as a stylish push around buggy with the option of parental control. This push car comes with a push around with a wide grip handle for easy of control. The car has decals for a realistic car look and comes with a seat belt for added safety. The toy’s realistic steering wheel and working horn add authenticity. The under the food storage for snacks and toys add to the likelihood of hours of on the go enjoyment.
- Realistic steering wheel and working horn add authenticity and hold children’s interest while improving fine motor skills
- Under the hood storage allows your child to bring along snacks or toys for those long rides
- Wide grip push handle offers exceptional parental controls
- Seat belt for added safety
- Soft tires pick up gravel
- Handle is too low for taller parents
Final verdict: This adorable sturdy ride-on is comfortably within the range for this type of toy and carries high levels of parental satisfaction making it well worth your consideration.
5. Little Tikes Rocking Horse
This iconic kids rocking horse is appropriate for children 12 months to 3 years. Available in either blue or pink, this modern take on the traditional rocking horse will keep your toddler amused for hours on end. Little Tikes Rocking Horse comes with a molded seat and easy grip handles for increased safety.
Durable and easy to clean, this molded plastic rocking horse is cost-effective and can be used indoors or out.
- Molded seat for added safety
- Easy grip handles for little hands
- Durable molded plastic
- Easy to clean
- Small enough for indoor play
- Weather-resistant for outdoor play
- Rocking horse may slide on indoor flooring
6. Radio Flyer Scoot About
Made of sturdy steel constriction, this ride on toy is an iconic solution for kids too young to deal with pedals. Made with wide-set wheels and both front and back bumpers, this traditional red rider is appropriate for indoor or outdoor use. The Radio Flyer Scoot About is outfitted with easy glide wheels and a working steering wheel for a smooth ride. The adjustable seat allows this toy to grow along with your child.
- Encourages hours of active play
- Wide-set wheels for stability
- Front and back bumper to protect furniture and walls
- Ringing bell for added fun
- Sturdy steel from for durability
Final verdict: This sturdy steel framed radio flyer carries a higher price tag than it’s formed plastic counterparts. However, its durability and ability to grow with your child makes it well worth the cost for those looking for a toy to be handed down.
7. Little Tikes Go and Grow Lil’ Rolln’ Giraffe Ride On
This adorable giraffe ride on toy is appropriate for kids aged 2 years old to 3 years old. Designed with an adjustable seat, this foot-to-floor ride, grows along with your child. The design features an over-sized back wheel for added stability and can be used both indoors and out.
The Little Tikes Go and Grow Lil’ Rollin’ Giraffe builds coordination and large motor skills while allowing your child to engage in active creative play with one of the most loved zoo animals.
- Adjustable seating allows for the toy to accommodate child growth
- Sturdy plastic construction suitable for outdoor and indoor play
- Encourages gross motor skill development
- Encourages active imaginations
- Allows for hours of active play and improved coordination
8. Mega Bloks Caterpillar with Excavator
This sturdy plastic CAT truck is an appropriate toy for children up to 4 years old. The iconic yellow CAT ride on truck will excite children with it’s realistic sounds and rotating excavator arm. The truck comes with a set of 10 blocks that can be manipulated with the excavator arm. Your child will build fine motor skills using the excavator arm and controlling the truck’s noises while enjoying active play. Kids will find a storage space for favorite toys or snacks. This toy offers the bonus of helping to make after-play clean up a fun experience.
- Encourages creative active play
- Realistic noises add to child’s ability to mimic adult work
- Rotating excavator arm improves fine motor skills and sense of depth
- Teaches children how to use tools to effect change in their world
- Sturdy plastic design
- This toy may be too small to accommodate some children up to age 4
9. Ezyroller Classic Ride On
This sturdy sitting scooter accommodates kids aged 4 – 14. With an extendable foot bar, this unique ride on toy can grow with your child. This metal sitting scooter holds up to 150 lbs. and is designed with a side lever for emergency braking. Available in a variety of colors, you can find one to suit your child’s color choice.
- Low to ground design reduces the risk of falls
- Side lever brake included for emergency braking
- Sturdy construction
- Available in a variety of colors
- Extendable foot bar means it can grow with your child
- Wheels aren’t suitbaly durable for rough terrain
Final Verdict: The Ezyroller Classic is ideal for those looking for a safe and “cool” alternative to the traditional scooter or bike. Very friendly for those with challenges to their balance, this sturdy ride can accommodate the weight of an adult and can grow with the owner making it a good financial choice.
10. Radio Flyer Delux Big Flyer
This steel reinforced rendition of the iconic Big Wheel toy can accommodate kids aged 2 – 7 years old. This low sitting tricycle for toddlers has a 16-inch front wheel with a patterned tread to improve road grip. Designed with adjustable seating this toy can grow with your child. Holding up to 65-lbs, it features a steel-reinforced steering column for improved durability.
- Wide wheel base for improved stability
- Patterned front wheel for improved road grip
- Low to the ground for improved safety
- Steel reinforced steering column for improved durability
- Adjustable seat to accommodate child growth
- Pedals may be hard for children on the lower end of the age range to reach
Final verdict: Although a bit pricier than some of the traditional plastic molded low to the ground ride on toys, it will last longer than less sturdy models making is worth the few added dollars.
11. Fisher-Price Power Wheels Jeep Wrangler
Powered by a 12-volt battery, this iconic kids electric car has two operating speeds. The Power Wheels Jeep Wrangler can go at 2.5 or 5 miles an hour. Parents concerned by the higher speed can lock this option out. Parents will be pleased to see that this lovely car can seat two. So, the only thing to fight over will be who gets to drive. Kids will also enjoy the roomy rear storage for those stuffed toys and snacks.
- Seats two
- Roomy rear storage
- FM radio
- Two speeds with parental control
- Durable construction
- Tires sometimes have difficulty getting traction
12. Peg Perego John Deere Ground Force Tractor and Trailer
Your little farmer will enjoy hours of outdoor fun on this realistic kids John Deere tractor with attached trailer. Outfitted with large knobby wheels, this tractor can find its grip even on grass and loose dirt. Kids will love the large trailer, ideal for transporting toys and lunch for break time in the field. The tractor comes with an FM radio, adjustable seats, power breaks and a two-speed gearbox.
- Power brakes for safety
- Adjustable seat to accommodate growing kids
- Large trailer for hauling toys
- Has two forward speeds and can travel in reverse
- Assembly can be challenging
Final verdict: Although this rugged ride is a bit more expensive than some of the electric ride on cars, it will provide hours of fun for and grow along with your little farmer.
13. John Deere Sit N Scoot Activity Tractor
An iconic kids toy tractor will encourage hours of creative outdoor play. It comes equipped with four farm animals that can be transported in the under the seat storage area. This durable toy has a horn and makes sounds that can be played at a normal or low setting. Sounds can be turned off for quiet play.
- Sounds can be turned off for quiet play
- Encourages creative active play
- Comes with four farm animals
- Sounds can be played at normal or low setting
- 3-in-1 design allows kids to scoot along, push, or be pushed along by an adult
- AAA batteries required
Final verdict: Priced higher than some molded plastic ride on toys, this iconic tractor will keep your aspiring farmer engaged in hours of creative active play making it worth the cost for kids with an interest in farming.
14. Step 2 Whisper Ride II
Available in multiple colors, this sturdy push car is outfitted with two cup holders for your child and one for the accompanying parent. The push handle folds up and is easily stored in the under-hood storage space for easy transport. Outfitted with “whisper ride” wheels this push car offers a smooth silent ride.
- Safety belt included for child safety
- Under hood storage for toys and snacks
- “Whisper ride” wheels for smooth silent trips
- Push handle folds and stores in the under-hood storage for ease of transport
- Multiple cup holders to encourage staying hydrated while on the go
- Unable to transition into a foot to floor toy
Final verdict: Although this push toy carries a slightly higher price tag than some similar vehicles, it offers features like multiple cup holders that make it worth the added cost.
15. Power Wheels Dune Racer
This flashy ride is outfitted with a “Monster traction” system so that kids can maintain speed across grass and gravel. Available in multiple colors, this toddlers car offers two speeds. There are metal side bars for safety and under the hood storage for essentials. Powered by a 9.5 amp battery, the dune racer can travel forward and backward.
- Moves in reverse as well as forward
- Outfitted with metal side bars for added safety
- Available in an array of colors
- Assembly required
16. Kiddieland My First Minnie Ride On
Your child will get hours of delight from the many sights and sounds this durable ride on offers. Kids will find plenty of activity dials, music buttons, lights, a moving steering wheel, and horn to keep little hands busy and build fine motor skills. There is even a lift-up seat that provides storage space for necessary toys and snacks.
- Encourages hours of active play
- Offers stimulating sights and sounds
- Helps develop fine motor skills
- Supports developing large muscle groups
- Allows for engaging solo play
- Batteries required for sounds and lights
Final verdict: Priced in line with similar iconic toys, this bright and fun toy will engage your child for hours on end and encourage only children to enjoy active solo play making it well worth the cost.
17. Simplay 3 My Buddy and Me SUV
This sturdy molded plastic SUV is appropriate for kids 18 months- 5 years old. Although priced higher than some similar ride on toys, this adjustable kids SUV transitions from a parent propelled ride on to a foot-to-floor. The car has an adjustable seat allowing this toy to grow along with your child. When your child is small and the seat is in the forward position, a second child can easily fit in the rear seat. Kids will find the working driver side door and working trunk engaging.
- Transitions from parent propelled ride on to kid propelled foot-to-floor
- Parent push bar is designed into the body of the car and is never in the way
- Large enough for two kids
- Double wall construction for added durability
- Encourages hours of active outdoor play.
- May be too small for two children to sit comfortably
Final verdict: This durable SUV is ideal for single kids or smaller children. As it transitions from a parent propelled to a kid propelled ride on, it has added life, and is well worth the cost of ownership.
Clearly, your choice regarding your child’s ride on toy experience will be guided by safety, the interest of your child, and the budget you have for such entertainment. Whether you are looking for a cost-efficient child propelled car, there are many wonderful options out there for your consideration. Happy motoring!
Motorcycle Rocking Horses Your Kids Will Love in 2020
Best motorcycle rockings horses for kids on the market in 2020. See them on a Harley Davidson rocker, or build your own with some wooden rocking horse plans!
12 Best Balance Bikes for Kids & Older Children (Updated 2020)
A guide to best balance bikes for kids and children of all ages! We've reviewed a wide range of bikes and trikes, including wooden balance bikes for babies.
Balance Bike vs Training Wheels for Kids Guide
Can't decide between getting a balance bike or training wheel for your child? Read our guide on the pros and cons of both, which one is best for your kid
Best Big Wheels for Toddlers, Kids and Brands To Avoid in 2020
The Best Big Wheels for Toddlers and Kids are the Radio Flyer models, suitable for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 year olds. Also see which brands to avoid in 2020!